Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Dust....

I will be honest...not that I really want to be however I have never gone to an Ash Wednesday service at church.  I'm a little in shock by this admittance but if I rack my brain hard enough no service comes to mind.  So I have never been smeared with ashes on my forehead.  I was going to plan on going this year however life has gotten away from me and I won't be able to make it yet another year.  However, I was slightly turned off by the idea after reading about a church that had an Ash Wednesday drive-thru.  A what?  Yup, drive-thru.  I write from time to time about my hardship of how we have become such a society of entitlement and instant gratification.  BUT, who am I to talk?  I can't even get in my vehicle to go to church, let alone a drive thru.

This doesn't speak to my heart that I do not regard this day as important or the Lent time for that matter.  I love this time of year.  Gives me time to reflect, to give more, to grow closer to God.  This year I have a list of photos that I will take each day and blog about.  Forcing me to slow down in this crazy thing I call life and reflect upon my calling to Christ.

Today's picture is to be of dust.  As I am eager to pick up my camera after a period of rest for carpal tunnel, I have decided to wait till tomorrow.  I have a photo that I had take recently that shows dust in such a perfect way that I want to share it.

 
“Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return
Turn away from your sins and believe in the Gospel”


I love this picture as it shows the growth of relationships between people.  But dancing so delicately in the air is flecks of dust.  If we continue to remind ourselves that we were once dust and dust we shall return then whose dust is better or worse than mine.  Kind of evens out the playing field in my opinion.  Continuing to focus on Christ will keep us turned from sin.  I find as I continue to try and walk with Christ my life is much easier than the days where I couldn't fathom walking in the light and took my life into my own hands. 

So today I will remember that I am dust and to dust I shall return....tomorrow....Prepare.

No comments:

Post a Comment