Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Baby Steps to Change

Summer is officially upon us.  I like to think of the change of seasons a new beginning.  Kind of like New Year's Day.  The start of something new.  The new cycle begins.  Or so I like to think so.  But I am one who fails all the time at New Year's Resolutions.  I am not a fan of dieting, or working out.  I want to change certain things in my life....but after I tell myself no more and that I need to change something about me....no more than a few days later... I am back to my old ways.

I always chuckle at God...at the "bring me to my knees moments".  I was reflecting upon change recently and then the Pastor has a blog about "Change".  I laughed and found it useful and thankful for God to give me some guidance.  These are wonderful points he brought up to reflect upon.  Thank you Mike for letting me share.

OPENMIKEBLOG.COM in purple my reflection in black.

"What season is ending in my life through no action of my own, Lord?  Help me to name it, learn from it, grieve or celebrate, and be soul-prepared for whatever new season you have for me."

** I think some changes in our life are difficult because our actions and feelings are part of who we are.  I love the word "grieve" here.  When change occurs we have to let somethings go.  Letting go can be painful at first but with time it can be one of the healthiest actions we take to make our lives better.

"What season do me-myself-and-I need to actively end in my life, Lord, under the counsel and power of your Spirit and your Word? Just as you have power over the seasons of nature, you have delegated to us power, submitted to you, to rule over much in our own lives.  Do I need to face the facts at my job, in my ministry, certain friendships or ungodly lifestyles I've pursued that needs repenting of, that simply need to slowly fade into something new or better?"

** Phew, this statement is hard to swallow.  Try to take this statement and say it to yourself in the mirror.  Don't worry God will hear you.  But...will you hear yourself or can you look yourself in the eye.  I have been thinking about behaviors or actions, especially the words I use.  If you can't say it for a group of public to hear should you say it at all?  If you can't do your actions in front of others...should you do it at all?  I have such a hard time with this and I am sure we all do.  Ugh, I want to be strong and let go of some of my thoughts and actions....free myself so that I can be stronger in my faith and my relationships with those around me.  I need to make the change to let go of some things in my life.  I know the thought of letting go can be difficult but you will survive.  I didn't think I would survive my divorce, my actions that came after my divorce, but I am sitting here typing to you today.  I had help, I didn't do it alone.  And if you need help to let go of some dangerous lifestyles or need strength from friends to let go of toxic relationships...reach out.  God has put people in your life for a reason.

"Lord, what new season is coming that I need to embrace, plan for, and participate in, that is part of your renewal of my life and my effectiveness for you?"

** Be ready and open to what is in front of you.  But if your eyes are too busy worrying and focusing on your past you will not be ready for what God has planned for you.  I need to reread what I just wrote over and over again.   I need to take my own advice.

"Lord, if this is a season of waiting, lack of clarity, knowing something new MUST come or be on the horizon, but its not here yet - give me wisdom to seek you in your Word daily, to ask for eyes of faith to see the new thing you bring when you bring it, and the restraint to make my own new season in my own way, outside of your Word and your will."

** Amen

I have things in my life I need to change or let go.  I am ready, I think.  I am standing at the crossroads....and I keep looking back.  I am human and am holding myself back.  I am bound to these things.  I will pray for guidance and strength.  I need the strength to use my scissors and tape.  I need guidance to know where to cut, how much to cut and what to mend, or make stronger.  And in the words of a good friend....know when to take out the trash.  But most of all....Give it to God.  Four words that are so easy to slip off the tongue but at times so hard to do.  I need to GIVE IT TO GOD and take responsibility. 

No comments:

Post a Comment